Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - PocketC Desktop!

PocketC Desktop!

Discuss topics that apply across the products, such as the PocketC language, or development in general

Postby kirkjerk on Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:53 pm

So I'm an old school PocketC guy... in fact, the (now horribly out of date) "1 memo" reference is still on the resources page for PocketC.

Somehow I totally missed that PocketC desktop lets you make standalone programs that can be launched directly from "Home"! I'm smacking myself because a couple years ago that would have seemed SO damn cool.

So I ordered the Desktop version, and went ahead and "splurged" for the PocketC as well, even though I have it... thought I'd consider it a small extra donation instead of bothering to look up how to upgrade. I'm just happy Orbworks is still around...

Which is part of the thing, of course... it's really too bad that PalmOS looks like it's gradually on its way out.

Anyway, since now I'm making standalone... do I need a creator code from Palm for EVERY app I want to release? Or just one for myself that applies to all of them?

Anyway, I dunno if I should have bothered w/ Architect. I've made a lot of nifty stuff w/ PocketC on the unit itself... of course that was before I had a laptop to keep me amused on trips :-)
kirkjerk

Postby FrankG on Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:50 pm

You need an ID for *every* app you want to release.

Have fun programming :)
Frank
FrankG

Postby kirkjerk on Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:08 pm

Ok... is that documented pretty clearly, where to get myself registered?

They're not running out are they? ;-)

The website is so weird, now that they're doing that damn rebranding. Can you still get an emulator? Is it hard to get the ROM for it?

(Sorry, i admit I haven't yet taken the time i know I need to look some of this stuff up...)
kirkjerk

Postby sangahm on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:53 pm

From Palm's Developer Network kbase:

"To register a Creator ID, you must be a member of the ACCESS Developer Network (formerly PalmSource.) To join, go to http://www.access-company.com/developers/ and either register for a new membership, or login using your existing PalmSource developer email address."

Once logged in, there is a link for "Manage My Applications" in which to get (or release) a creator ID.

BTW: If you don't use a difft creator id, then it will erase the older program with the same creator id when loaded onto your palm.
sangahm

Postby kirkjerk on Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:12 pm

Ok, thanks for the push.

I think I was so bugged by the name "ACCESS" (hell, that's an old Microsft DB, innit? In any case, it's stupid and generic) that I needed more of a hint.

Now... just gotta figure out the difference between an emulator and a simualtor ;-)

it's exciting though, I have a few old programs, some fairly polished, that I never got around to distributing, just because I didn't think of there being an easy way to make 'em standalone.
kirkjerk

Postby sangahm on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:06 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kirkjerk</i>
<br />Ok, thanks for the push.

I think I was so bugged by the name "ACCESS" (hell, that's an old Microsft DB, innit? In any case, it's stupid and generic) that I needed more of a hint.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yep, agree. Some marketing type probably figured it was a great name and didn't think of the MS dbase.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Now... just gotta figure out the difference between an emulator and a simualtor ;-)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Use the simulator...it's newer. All of the OS5 devices have ROMs simulated in this environment.
sangahm

Postby kirkjerk on Wed May 02, 2007 6:01 pm

So I finally got around to getting going with this.

Got some promising results!

Two questions:
1. how do I select a dbName? should it be the same as my creator ID? Are there other uniqueness issues i need to think about?

2. I was surprised to see that the Simulator "automagically" picked up my newly built .prc file. Any idea how PocketC communicated the new file to it? Or is it doing some kind of scan? It was cool but sometimes such proactive programs scare me :-)
kirkjerk

Postby dewey on Sat May 05, 2007 11:49 pm

1. The general theory these days is that you should add your creator id as the suffix of the database name, e.g. "application-crid"
2. PocketC communicates with the simulator via TCP to convince it to install the new application.
dewey
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion