Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - What to use?

What to use?

Discuss topics that apply across the products, such as the PocketC language, or development in general

Postby SwissMike on Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:18 pm

Hi everyone!

I have just received my first Palm (a Tungsten E) and I'm looking for a nice programming language / IDE. I'm not sure what to choose. Is the language OrbForms uses completely different from PocketC? Will both products be well supported in the near future? What about just using "real" C? Is there a big difference in speed compared to PocketC and OrbForms?

mike
SwissMike

Postby cable_guy_67 on Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:22 pm

Hello and Welcome mike

Orbforms and PocketC are quite different. I personally use PocketC and have only played with the OrbForms demo. PocketC with PtoolBox functionality is quite an agressive product. Both PocketC and PtoolBox are VERY well supported IMHO. On the other hand I have noticed that OrbForms seems to get the same treatment as far as support. I just have not had an cause to use it for any work so I am just "calling it how I sees it" from responses I have read in the forums. There are definately speed issues with PocketC but I am currently using in in a game environment and I works quite well. I don't think you would want to be using it for the genome project but that kind of goes without saying. :D

Using C ie with the PRC-ToolChain is also an option. It would bring you closer to the code but will make things take much longer to produce. With pocketC you can really get something programmed and on your handheld it a very short period of time. You will want to have Pilrc and Par at the very least even if you are using pocketC. Do a search of the forums for those things and you will find a wealth of information.

Oops, your question was not about speed of C vs pocketC but of pocketC vs OrbForms Designer. Sorry, can't answer that one.

Glad to have you here and hope this has been of some help.

Mark
cable_guy_67

Postby SwissMike on Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:31 am

Hi Mark,

I'm still not sure what to choose so I will just play with the demo versions for a while. PocketC is a lot cheaper than OrbForms so I really have to think about the choice for a while... :)
SwissMike

Postby jstadolnik on Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:23 pm

With regards to raw computation speed, PocketC is generally 10 to 50 times slower than natively compiled code. Orbforms is a little faster. I'm not sure how much by though.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby JustAl1947 on Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:20 pm

Mike,

One of my favorite sites for development software is http://goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au/~winikoff/palm/dev.html
The site has some graphs showing the relative computational speed of applications on the Palm (note: not the time it takes to develop an application). In particular, Orbforms specs out at about 3 1/2 times faster than Pocket C.

Al
JustAl1947

Postby SwissMike on Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:39 pm

Well, speed isn't THAt important after all. An easy to use and powerful enviroment is much more important. At least for me... ;) The only thing I found which also offers this seems to be NS Basic but I think I will go for OrbForms.
SwissMike

Postby Eli on Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:06 pm

Will a programs developed in Pocket C with PTooboxllib open, compile and run from OrbForms or will i need to rewrite?

I also noticed that some of the commands seem to be quite different for the Serial interface.

Eli
Eli

Return to General Discussion