Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Operating Cell-Phones from PocketC ?

Operating Cell-Phones from PocketC ?

Discuss topics that apply across the products, such as the PocketC language, or development in general

Postby irmcd on Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:09 pm

I plan to use PDAs (palm or CE) as remote data-loggers to
collect environmental information. Two or three times a
day, I want to phone the collected info back in to a base
computer. The options are using a PDA which already has
cell-phone capability or using the PDA to activate the
phone, dial and initiate data transfer ... using it as a
cellular modem.

For several reasons, I'd RATHER not use an integrated PDA/Phone.
They are expensive, if one part breaks then the whole thing is
useless, I'm not sure the range is as good as a 'real' cell
phone and we get a very good corporate price on our 'real'
phones which they might not give for a PDA/phone. The major
benifits of a PDA/phone are simplicity and the extremely low
power consumption of a PDA (these things will be run using
solar-charged batteries).

There were companies selling A/D converters which plugged-in
to the compact flash port on some older PDAs, but I see the
newer ones all seem to have gone to secure-digital slots and
I've seen no A/Ds for them yet. The other option is to use
the PDAs serial port and employ an external A/D which sends
a data string in that way. Of course, the phone would then
have to be addressable using IR or Bluetooth since the hardwire
serial port would be 'hogged' by the A/D device.

In any event, PDAs now seem to beat some of the lower-range
dedicated data-collection/transmission devices out there in
in terms of price, memory capacity and flexibility. If you
don't need a really high sample rate, they're the way to go.
Well ... I hope so .....

Has anyone had any experiences in commanding cell phones
from a PDA running PocketC or OrbForms ? I could maybe use
Procomm on the base PC to arrange an automatic data xfer, or
I could write my own software ... nothing needs to be very
sophisticated or even very fast since I'm not sending that
much data. Reply to group.

Thanks,
Jim
irmcd

Postby jstadolnik on Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:18 pm

The palm version of PocketC has no built-in support for accessing phone features. You'd have to write your own native library to provide this functionality for PocketC.

There might be libraries for the this for the WinCE/PocketPC platform but the version of PocketC for that platform is no longer supported. It's a dead horse, and I would recommend against using it.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby otakribut1 on Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:33 am

if you know java. get a phone with midp. program it on a pc. compile and download it to your phone. best choice would be--phone with usb connection. my suggestion=the old nokia ngage.(old model ...not the new QD)
otakribut1

Return to General Discussion